A LIFETIME OF CARE
After menopause, women still need gynecological care. Annual exams are key to avoiding and treating many health problems common in older women.
Menopause marks the time in a woman’s life when her menstruation stops and she is no longer able to become pregnant. Even though menopause is confirmed when a woman has not had a period for one year, symptoms and signs of menopause can appear years before your last period.
Some women are able to tolerate menopause without medications. However, many women choose to replace the hormones that are diminishing in their bodies. At River City OB/GYN, we specialize in bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. We strive to find the therapy that is the best fit for your body. Benefits of hormone replacement therapy include improvement in mood and mental clarity, resolution of hot flashes and night sweats, prevention of osteoporosis and decreased risk of colon cancer.
About Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
With Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT), you can feel better and fight the diseases of aging with supplementation of bioidentical hormones. The levels of these hormones can be optimized naturally with hormones that are chemically identical to what our bodies make. Bioidenticals are safe and can be administered long term without the side effects of synthetic hormones.
BHRT can help to reduce your chances of developing cardiovascular disease, cancer, stroke, osteoporosis and Alzheimer’s disease. You can look better, stay healthier and improve your quality of life.
At River City OB/GYN, we work one-on-one with each patient so that the hormone therapy regimen is individually tailored to optimize your levels and enhance your health and well being.
Hormone Therapy can help with the following symptoms:
- Hot flashes
- Mood swings
- Sexual dysfunction/low libido
- Bladder irritability
- Bone loss (osteoporosis)
River City OB/GYN evaluates and monitors these hormones while on hormone replacement therapy:
- Thyroid: A metabolic hormone that decreases steadily with age. Lack of thyroid hormone causes cold intolerance, fatigue, weight gain, increased cholesterol, thin and dry skin, hair loss, and thin and brittle nails
- Estrogen: Protects against heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis. Estrogen lowers LDL cholesterol and raises HDL cholesterol. Prevents symptoms such as hot flashes, temperature deregulation, mood swings, urogenital atrophy, decreased libido and depression.
- Progesterone: Protects against uterine and breast cancer and osteoporosis. Reduces menopausal symptoms and must be taken if you have a uterus. Progesterone is important and protective of the breasts and uterus for all women.
- DHEA: Important in cancer and infection prevention and enhances the immune system. DHEA is a prehormone to estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone and is an important building block in the production of these hormones.
- Testosterone: Helps sustain libido, increase muscle mass and enhances immunity. It is also a great mood enhancer and imparts a sense of well being.
- Melatonin: Controls circadian rhythm and sleep cycle, increasing stage IV sleep. It improves quality of sleep and during that stage the immune system is stimulated and the body produces natural killer cells against cancer.